Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Self-Portrait of Lorenzo Lotto



Though the website I sourced this image from doesn't provide much information on Lotto, if you click on the site's header, you will be able to see many self portraits painted by many, many famous artists.

The original painting is located at El Museo de arte Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid, but I was not able to locate an image on their website.

Lotto was a prolific and overlooked master painter. Fortunately, he beginning to gain some of the recognition he deserves. I'm currently reading Francesca Cortesi Bosco's Lorenzo Lotto: The Frescoes in the Oratorio Suardi at Trescore and am in awe of his work. Since Lotto is no where near as famous as many of his contemporaries, even though his skill far surpasses many (if not most) of them, as I devour and savor hundreds of images of his work, I feel like I've stumbled upon an an amazing secret cache.

No comments:

Post a Comment